Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Sharktopus Plush

UPDATE:  SyFy tweeted about my plush!  Tweet Tweet.

So I've had to keep quiet about a recent commission for a while now. Its been killing me because its so cute and I'm really happy with how it turned out.  Luckily its finally been delivered to the person it was made for so I can finally now share.  Share what, you say? ...

SHARKTOPUS!!! Half shark, half octopus!

Sharktopus Plush - Lounging

He's actually not that bad of a guy. He just wants to take a tiny nibble of your leg is all....


Sharktopus Plush- Watching TV

Here he is watching tv with my boyfriend. See, friendly as can be!



Sharktopus Plush - Skin Suit

This is his skin suit, and what he looked like before being stuffed and sewn shut.


A friend of mine asked me if I could make a plush for his girlfriend.  He's a fan of "bad" science fiction movies, and apparently had made her watch the SyFy's masterpiece Sharktopus. He wanted to reward her for being a good sport by having a cute plush version of the creature made.

I had never attempted anything like this before, and it involved drafting a pattern and trying to fit 8 legs nicely around the base of the shark. I had to come up with some new techniques for things, like using a stabilizer inside the dorsal fin to help make it rigid. Also, the tentacles aren't stuffed. Instead I used a cotton batting to plump them up a bit, but to keep them flat and flexible. Perfect for grabbing prey, or hugging unsuspecting girlfriends....

I'm really happy with how he turned out. I'm absolutely in love with his little tentacles and now need to think of even more things to add tentacles too.  I hear he is also a big hit with the unsuspecting girlfriend which makes me super happy.  :D

8 comments:

  1. This is one of the cutest and most awesome things I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the lucky girl who received this as a gift and I have to say that it is indeed awesome and cute and cuddly and very well made. I hope it retains its one-of-a-kind status. Even if you agree to make one for someone else, tweak it a little so it's not exact. After all, Sharktopus was the only one of its kind (we hope!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm so glad you like it Laura.

    And the joys of handmade is that nothing is ever exactly the same even if you remake something. :D The director of the movie would like one and I'm pretty sure he deserves one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I love it SUPER cute! My step daughter and me used to play a game when we were waiting for trains or buses etc, we'd both pick an animal then try and draw it.. this reminds me of it. Awesome.

    Now.. I gotta go watch that movie...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is brilliant! I haven't seen the movie. But, I love him! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is seriously the cutest thing ever. All my friends laughed at me when I kept going on & on & on about Sharktopus. Obviously, they need to see your Masterpiece.

    Could you possibly be convinced to make one for purchase? Could you be convinced to make him a cute Mega Piranha pal, also for purchase?!?!?!?

    He really is too darn cute. LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is AMAZING! I LOVE him so much... SOOOOOO cute. I love that you even put little suckers on his tentacles. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am considering making a few more, maybe a bit smaller in size. Now I'll have to go look up Mega Piranaha and see about a plush monster battle!

    ReplyDelete